Monday, June 21, 2010

Off Shore Wind Farm



Grand Haven is the proposed location for an off shore 500 megawatt wind farm. This could mean up to 100 wind turbines located about 6 miles off the coast of Grand Haven.





On June 16, I moderated an informational meeting with representatives from Scandia speaking to the public about their plans. It was an informational Q&A, and the decision to not allow an exchange was made following two meetings in Mason and Oceana Counties that devolved into shouting matches.





Representatives from an organization opposing the wind farms were asked if they would like to present their arguments against the development of a farm here. They declined, but indicated that they would be interested in a similar presentation in the coming weeks. I agreed to make arrangements and moderate that discussion, if and when I am contacted.





We could not get to all of the questions, so I have them posted on the City's website at:

scandia wind questions

I have sent these along to Scandia and have asked them to provide answers. Once these answers are posted, I will present a link to their site on the City web page - probably here in the City Manager's Blog.